25 Amazing Beauty Tips Using Coconut Oil
- Beauty & Fashion
- Nov 10, 2015
Have you heard about coconut oil yet?! If it’s not already a part of your beauty regimen, you are seriously missing out! Everyone from Victoria’s Secret supermodel Miranda Kerr, to the girl next door, and even cosmetics companies are getting in on the secret. Why? Coconut oil is antibacterial, antifungal, a great moisturizer, and, let us not forget, it smells AMAZING. It’s an instant relaxer every time I use it since the scent takes me straight to the beach. Consuming coconut oil has its own benefits, but we’re sharing our favorite 25 topical skincare, haircare, and bodycare uses. All you need is some virgin coconut oil, preferably organic, and you’re good to glow!
1. Deep conditioner: For starters, coconut oil is a great moisturizer for your strands because its small molecular structure is better able to penetrate the hair shaft. Plus, it protects against environmental damage and rebalances hair proteins. Simply massage a few tablespoons of coconut oil into your hair and leave it overnight before rinsing. If you don’t have that much time, just massage in the oil and wrap a warm towel around your head for a few hours.
2. Intense deep conditioning: For more intense moisture add some avocado to that coconut oil. Simply remove the rind from half an avocado and blend in 4 tablespoons of coconut oil with a fork until you get a creamy paste. Massage into damp, towel dried hair and use a wide-tooth comb to distribute evenly. Leave 20 minutes, then rinse out and shampoo as usual.
3. Frizzy or lacklustre hair: For a quick shine boost simply take a tiny, tiny (smaller than pea-sized) drop of coconut oil and rub it between your palms to “liquify.” Then smooth it over the top of your strands or if you have curly hair, run your fingers through it and lightly scrunch. Shine away!
4. Dandruff:Fight the flakes by massaging coconut oil into your scalp for 5 minutes. Allow it to sit and soak for as much time as you have, and then shampoo thoroughly. Because of the natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of coconut oil, it’s clutch for improving any scalp issues.
5. Simple scrub: Get ready for shorts season by mixing sea salt and coconut oil for simple, but effective body scrub.
6. Honey Lemon Sugar Scrub:Mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar + 1/2 cup of sea salt. Add 1 T lemon juice + 1 T coconut oil + 1 T honey, and mix well. Use once or twice a week for seriously smooth skin.
7. Deep moisturizer:Forget store-bought lotion. Get more bang for your buck and use natural products by making your own moisturizer. Simply stir together equal parts coconut and olive oil. Add a few drops of rose or frankincense essential oil for a heavenly scent.
8. Take things to the next levelby slathering the above concoction all over your body. Then drape yourself with some warm bath towels. Relax until the towels have completely cooled. You just gave your entire body a very luxurious moisturizing treatment.
9. Simple Body moisturizer: Just by itself coconut oil is a great moisturizer, especially since it’s rich in fatty acids. Smooth it all over after your body is still damp from the shower and you’ll have soft skin all day.
10. Shaving cream: Coconut oil smooths hair follicles so you’ll get a closer, smoother shave, and it won’t dry out your legs like some shaving creams.
11. After-shave lotion:Coconut oil will help heal your skin after shaving and is especially great for razor burn!
12. Cuts and scrapes: Slather a bit of coconut oil on those small scratches, scrapes, or cuts for loads of benefits. The oil will form a thin antiseptic and antibacterial layer protecting the wound from dust and germs. Plus, it helps reduce scarring!
13. Illuminator:Need a quick, gorgeous glow? Massage coconut oil into your whole body from head to toe.
HANDS & FEET
14. Foot treatment: Fix dry, cracked feet by simply rubbing some coconut oil over the flaky spots and using a pumice stone. For a more intense boost, slather on the oil, put on some socks and leave them on overnight.
15.Massage a small amount of coconut oil into nails and cuticles to keep them strong, and soothe and prevent hangnails.
16. Simple face mask: Honey and coconut oil might sound messy, but this mask is a godsend for a dried out face. Simply mix equal parts of both and slather it on your face for 10 minutes or so.
17. Face scrub: For a gentle but super effective scrub, mix equal parts oil and baking soda. The oil flushes away impurities and the soda reveals brightened skin.
18. Lip balm:Simply slather plain coconut oil on your lips for the ultimate in hydration. Try storing some in mini-mint tins so you can take it anywhere.
19. Makeup remover:Oil is amazing at removing makeup, and coconut is the best. Even your strongest waterproof mascara melts away by massaging coconut oil into your face. Don’t forget to rinse with warm water..
20. Colds:If your nose is feeling rough from those sniffles, simply rub a little coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help with runny noses, allergies, and sore nostrils.
21. Acne: Mix some coconut oil with nutmeg and leave on your blemish for 10-15 minutes, and then wash off.
22. Cold sores:Coconut oil contains an anti-viral that helps treat cold sores, boils, acne and warts. At the first sign of a cold sore, mix 2 tablespoons of oil with 5 drops of oil of oregano and apply liberally to the sore.
23. Eyelashes:Brush on to eyelashes to boost their growth and pigmentation.
24. Age spots: Applying coconut oil directly to the age spot will help it fade by preventing free-radical formation.
25. Highlighter: Many natural makeup brands are already using coconut oil in their formulas and for good reason. Simply swipe a very small amount of coconut oil on top of makeup for an extra glowy effect.
Do you use coconut oil? Is there anything we skipped that you think everyone should know?! Leave a comment below!