For anyone who’s looking for an excuse to treat yourself – here’s some good news, “me time” is actually good for you! Yep, you heard that right! Part of a healthy lifestyle includes investing in yourself in the way of self-care. Whereas neglecting yourself can make you feel more stressed, overwhelmed and run down.
So what is self-care? Self-care is any action or behavior that helps us avoid triggering health problems and benefits us by improving our mental and physical health through better self-esteem, less stress, and overall wellbeing.
Experts recommend taking 20 minutes out of your day for self-care. Our friends at Well Being Trust helped us come up with this list of some of our favorite best self-care tips.
1. Get more sleep
2. Eat food that makes you feel good.
3. Indulge in a “guilty” pleasure
4. Exercise in a fun or calming way.
5. Take a bath
6. Relax and detox in a suana.
7. Have a deep conversation with a supportive loved one.
8. Write your thoughts and feelings in a journal
9. Watch the sunset
10. Watch a favorite movie.
11. Go outside and take a walk
12. Plan an evening of rest: no to-do’s or rushing around
13. Turn on your favorite song (or playlist) and have a solo dance party
14. Practice yoga or meditate
15. Read inspirational quotes or stories.
16. Re-read a favorite book
17. Diffuse essential oils
18. Light scented candles
18. Get into bed early
19. Bake something
20. Buy yourself flowers
21. Start a gratification journal
22. Plan a stay-cation
23. Say no
24. Turn your phone off for a few hours
25. Do your nails or go get a mani/pedi
As always, if you have any other ways you practice self-care, we’d love to hear from you!