Creating a positive body image takes work. But one of the easiest ways to get started is to use mind trick and little mantras. I love the idea of making promises to yourself, just like wedding vows. Here are 17 promises you can make each and every day to help you stay positive about yourself and build your confidence.
I vow to…
- Remember that the sun will still rise tomorrow even if I had one too many slices of pizza or an extra scoop of ice cream tonight.
- Never blame my body for the bad day I’m having.
- Stop joining in when my friends compare and trash their own bodies.
- Never allow a dirty look from someone else influence how I feel about my appearance.
- Quit judging a person solely by how his or her body looks – even if it seems harmless – because I’d never want anyone to do that to me.
- Notice all the amazing things my body is doing for me every moment I walk, talk, think, breathe…
- Quiet that negative little voice in my head when it starts to say mean things about my body that I’d never tolerate anyone else saying about me.
- Remind myself that what you see isn’t always what you get on TV and in ads – it takes a lot of airbrushing, dieting, money, and a team of people to look like that.
- Remember that even the girl who I’d switch bodies with in a minute has something about her body she hates.
- Respect my body by feeding it well, working up a sweat when it needs it, and knowing when to give it a break.
- Realize that the mirror can reflect only what’s on the surface of me, not who I am inside.
- Know that I am already beautiful just the way I am.
- Not let my size define me. It’s far better to focus on how awesome I look in my jeans than the number on the tag.
- Surround myself with positive people. True friends are there to lift me up when I’m feeling low and won’t bring me down with criticism, body bashing, or gossip.
- Accept the changes that my body is going through. I will celebrate my new shape and curves. I will rock what I’ve got!
- Remember that sometimes I will have down moments. And in those times, I will remind myself of how awesome I am by looking in the mirror and saying, “I’m good! I can do this! I’m number one!”
- Accept that beauty isn’t just about my looks. It’s my fantastic personality and my energy that creates a whole, unique package.
Do you have any promises that you make to yourself?