We all know the key to burning calories and losing weight is a healthy metabolism. What we don’t all know is how to kick our metabolism into high gear. There are lots of rumors out there, but we’ve got 10 true and easy ways to speed up your metabolism today.
1.Start your day with green tea. Coffee is fine in moderation, but green tea will be better for your body. If you don’t love the taste, try getting the same benefits in capsule form. It has caffeine and catechins, which have been shown to speed up metabolism for several hours. It also contains epigallocatechin gallate, which also revs metabolism. Try to cut out soda or alcohol completely if you can.
2. Eat more protein. Incorporate more lean protein into your diet by adding chicken, beans, and quinoa into your daily meals. It will help to keep you full longer and you’ll be less likely to binge on unhealthy temptations. The body burns more calories digesting protein than fat or carbohydrates.
3. Choose olive oil.Just because you’re eating more protein doesn’t mean you have to cut out all fats in your diet. Healthy fats are actually great for you as they start your metabolism and help you burn more body fat. Olive oil is a great fat to cook with or to use in salad dressings, and make sure to check out these other healthy fats.
4. Do a healthy detox.There are plenty of detoxes out there that are far too extreme. Skip the cayenne pepper and water detox and try a healthy detox that won’t leave you starved. Instead, it will just clean out the toxins from your body and jump start your metabolism.
5. Water water water! The body needs water to process calories, so always make sure to stay hydrated. A dehydrated body will slow its metabolism and increase hunger and sluggishness.
6. Give your meals a kick.Spicy foods are great for waking your body up and giving your metabolism a boost. The effect can be temporary, but can show benefits over time.
7. Snack.If you’re eating three meals a day with 5-7 hours in between them, your body has time to slow down your metabolism. Having a small meal or snack every 3-4 hours keeps your metabolism going, so you burn more calories over the course of a day.
8. Get enough sleep.Get the recommended 7-8 hours per night if at all possible. If you’re getting less, your body’s ability to burn calories lessens.
9. Get vitamin B. You’ve heard the importance of vitamin C, but what about vitamin B? It’s essential to maintaining a healthy metabolism and can be found in nuts and lean meats.
10. Eat Salmon. Salmon is full of those awesome omega-3 fatty acids, which can make your metabolism more efficient. It’s also full of protein and is another healthy fat! Make a delicious dinner with this easy foil-baked salmon recipe.
What do you do to boost your metabolism?